Read Time: 4 min.
Product packaging goes well beyond the box an item comes in. In supply chain parlance, packaging is a system by which we prepare items for shipping that makes the entire process more cost-effective, safe, and reliable for all stakeholders, from the product manufacturer to the consumer.
A highly efficient packaging process maximizes value and drives efficiency from the factory floor to the customer’s door. More often, goods are shipped through multiple carriers and methods. An optimized packaging process reduces loss and waste and helps ensure that your goods arrive in top condition.
Top 10 Ways to Maximize Packaging Efficiency
To help you streamline your logistics, here are our top 10 tips to maximize packaging efficiency:
- Consolidate all product data. Obtain all relevant data about the product and its packaging. Details like size, weight, safety, and hazardous materials issues, documentation, and mode of shipping will ensure you are using the right packaging and that your employees know what to expect.
- Anticipate and prepare. Packaging can be a multi-step process that includes inserts, seals, warning labels, and specific types of boxes. Order what you need well in advance so your employees can work quickly and efficiently.
- Understand packaging regulations. Labeling and packaging requirements vary from item to item, and changing rules could impact your operations. Stay up to date with current compliance regulations to minimize delays.
4. Include packaging in your budget. A comprehensive budget makes business forecasting more accurate. Include packaging in the budget to avoid surprises.
How To Save Cost By Switching Your Freight Forwarder
5. Partner with an expert. Freight forwarders like DTS offer packaging expertise that saves you time, money, and aggravation.
6. Minimize waste. Overpacking or using a multi-step process wastes time and money. Understand the requirements so you can identify opportunities to reduce waste in both materials and processes.
7. Be prepared. If you know your packaging requirements in advance, you can avoid disruptions and delays, and more accurately liaise with your suppliers, employees, and supply chain partners.
8. Make the process more efficient. Whether your goods are highly regulated, hazardous, fragile, understanding the packaging process is the first step to making it more efficient. Automate processes when you can, or use an assembly line workflow to expedite multi-step packaging.
9. Seek out advanced packaging solutions. Innovations in packaging make it possible to pack and protect goods without liners, fillers, or pellets. Research solutions that meet the regulatory needs of the products you are packing.
10. Always think outside the box. Just because you have “always done it this way” doesn’t mean it’s the best way to do it. To optimize efficiency and maximize profits, you should always be looking for ways to improve, both with materials and processes. Seek out solutions that answer those needs and put them into practice.
If you are looking for an easy way to maximize packaging efficiency, partner with DTS Freight Forwarding. We are a one-stop, cost-effective solution for all your export and packaging needs and a reliable ally in the effort to build and scale your business. Call for a quote today.